Tagged as just another open-world clone that thrives on crafting and survival elements, Conan Exiles aims to be anything but.
In a recent Reddit AMA thread, developer Funcom stated that it wants to present a unique world that pays homage to the original source material of Conan, the Barbarian. As such, implementing a crafting bench along with survival aspects is just a minor step towards reaching that goal.
Responding to the question of nudity, Funcom stated that it was a necessary addition keeping in mind the lore and setting. “The slider was a natural evolution of that, especially seeing we had a similar slider for breasts,” the developer added. “Equality and all that.”
In the future, the adventures of Conan Exiles will be more than simply tea-bagging your foes. The vision for the game is to “find the line between Skyrim and Minecraft”. That in itself is a tall ordeal but one which Funcom believes it can pull off.
“We want to have a game where NPCs inhabit a living, breathing world, but where players make a real impact on the environment and become a part of that world. Through the thrall system we hope to introduce complex behaviours that allow you to build your own cities and towns and as we add features such as the Purge, we are going to be trying to create a dynamic world that challenges your right to survive.”
Currently, it’s working hard to get the game out of its Early Access period. Here are a few changes and improvements that Funcom is hoping to ship out soon:
- A decay system so players can’t claim huge swathes of land, locking others out forever.
- A magic system including sorcery and necromancy, tied to a corruption system, which “will not be anything like Skyrim”.
- More bosses, new biomes, and improvements to combat.
- More specifically, improvements to dodge and combat controls.
- Ability to capture and sacrifice players, possibly even taking body parts such as heads or genitals as trophies.
- A better chat system with features like chat bubbles.
- More clan features such as dye customisation and better permissions.
- Traps, and improvements to bows.
- More roleplaying support and an expansion to the world, while staying faithful to the Conan material.
Earlier this week, Funcom stated that Conan Exiles will only remain in Early Access for a year. The studio is confident that the final version will be ready for an official launch in early 2018.