Over four years after the release of the second installment, we finally have confirmation of the existence of Darksiders III.
According to a product listing by retailer giant Amazon, Darksiders III will feature Fury as the third Horsemen of the Apocalypse. She is a mage who uses magic and an enchanted whip to “restore the balance between good and evil” on a ravaged Earth.
The accompanying gameplay details confirm that Fury will have various forms, each granting different weapons and abilities. Much like the previous games, expect to switch on the fly to adapt to different situations.
Darksiders III will feature an open-world, with the franchise’s signature “expansive post-apocalyptic environments.” Players will be fighting against the seven deadly sins and all sorts of mythical creatures.
The following is the official description shared by the product listing:
- Play as FURY – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
- Harness FURY’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities
- Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which FURY moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story
- Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings
- Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature
Darksiders III is being developed for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC by Gunfire Games, the studio founded by the people behind original Darksiders developer Vigil Games, which went under after publisher THQ went bust. A placeholder release date of 2018 has been listed, but we will know for sure when E3 2017 takes place next month.