Strong rumors suggest that the next Black Ops 4, developed by Treyarch, will not have a single player campaign, according to Polygon.
Treyarch have been responsible for all previous Call of Duty: Black Ops games as well as Call of Duty: World at War. Kotaku have also said that their sources confirm the absence of work for a campaign; furthermore, Activision have said they do not address rumors and will only give further information on May 17.
The sources claimed that the reason for the lack of a single player campaign, a staple of the Call of Duty franchise, is the inability to make one for the release date on Oct 12 due to a lack of time. Treyarch intend to instead focus on multiplayer aspects, the main money maker, to keep players happy and engaged.
Charlie Intel have claimed that their sources confirm a Battle Royale mode in the making as well, developed by Raven Software, a studio who have previously made Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.
Though a single player campaign has been an expectation for many players, it has not been the first time it has been dropped from the feature list for a Call of Duty game. Black Ops 3, made by Treyarch as well, was not shipped with a single player campaign for its console releases, though Activision has not revealed if the fact had any impact on the games’ performance.
Black Ops 4, however, will be the first Call of Duty game with no single player campaign across all platforms. The lack of a campaign for Black Ops 4 would ordinarily garner outrage within the gaming community, but Treyarch may be correct to assume that their audience would be sufficiently placated with a game mode featuring a genre that has achieved colossal success and popularity in recent years.
We will have to wait for confirmations and details from the community reveal event on May 17 for further information, though what we anticipate the most will be how the public will react to the news, if true.